Since we've talked about Facebook and death, I thought it would be interesting to talk about Facebook and virtual death. I recently read an article where celebrities are making a "digital life sacrifice," or deleting their Facebook and Twitter accounts until they raise one million dollars for the Keep a Child Alive campaign which helps people who are affected by the HIV/AIDS virus. By "killing" themselves off on these social networking sites, celebrities believe that this will raise money quickly, because people are going to want to get them back online and be able to know what's going on in their lives. The writers at HipHopRxwrote a really interesting article about the campaign, and although they believe this was done for a great cause, it could have been more successful.I think it's so crazy how people are so intrigued by the lives of celebrities that they would basically pay money to know what they are doing. At the same time, I totally give it to the campaign leaders who thought of this idea because they know what celebrity-obsessed world we live in. If I was a huge fan of a certain celeb whose participating, like Kim Kardashian, I could totally see myself donating because after all, it is for a good cause!
This is a rather interesting concept. I hadn't heard about this yet. I do like the idea for the cause and I think it is smart to capitalize on the people who spend most of their time stalking celebs. Which is alot of people. I think alot more people spend their time (at least with girls) fantasizing and researching their celebs. I'm sure for a lot of people the idea of kim kardashian not tweeting for a day could be devastating. I however will not be donating to Kim Kardashian as I think she should just donate some of her thousands instead of us who have to struggle in this economy. I also would be fine with never hearing about kim kardashian being famous for nothing except her butt.
ReplyDelete